As we continue to get to know our scouting staff with our Summer Scout Spotlight Series, this week’s feature is our Ottawa Area Scout, Mike Craig!
How many years have you been scouting?
- 13- CCHL (various teams)
- 10th Season in OHL all with Oshawa
What is your full-time job?
- High School Science and Physical Education Teacher
Tell us about your family
- Wife, Melissa is a letter carrier for Canada Post
- Two Boys — James is 8, going into Atom and Jacob is 5, going into 2nd year of IP
Biggest hockey influence in your life?
- My father Hugh
- He has helped me in many aspects. As a manager, coach in other sports, and in scouting
- He scouts for the Kitchener Rangers
- Has scouted and been a GM for over 30 years in the CCHL with various teams
What formal/personal relationship did you have with hockey and how did it lead you to scouting?
- Played 5 Seasons with the Smiths Falls Bears Jr. A.
- Went to St. Lawrence University
- Got into coaching once I got back to Canada
- 1 season Midget AA as Head Coach
- Started scouting with the Cornwall Colts CCHL
- Assistant Coach for 5 Seasons with the Charlan Rebels EOJBHL while scouting with Cornwall and moved on as Head Scout with Kanata Stallions/Lasers CCHL
- In 2008 was asked to join the Generals Scouting Staff and have been there ever since
- Enjoy coaching my young boys as well
Favourite rink to travel to for scouting?
- I like going to Richcraft Sensplex in Ottawa and Ed Lumley Arena in Cornwall
- On the road, I like to travel to Iroquois Park in Whitby and the TTC in Oshawa
Typical week in your professional life at the height of hockey season?
- I teach Monday–Friday (I also coach many sports at my school such as Football, Track and Field, Basketball, Badminton and Hockey)
- Scout Monday nights in Ottawa – HEO Midget AAA League Night
- Scout Thursday night in Cornwall CCHL game
- Scout Saturday (HEO Midget AAA League, CCHL games or ETA games in Kingston)
- Coach my boys Saturday and Sunday mornings
- I will also mix in Bantam and Midget AA games as well as Major Bantam AAA games in the Ottawa area on the other nights depending on my schedule
Most number of time you saw/scouted one player?
- I likely see the Ottawa area kids over 30-40 times in their Major Bantam and Minor Midget years
- My son loves Boone Jenner. I will always like him as he was our 1st draft pick 9 Seasons ago
- Currently I would have to say Serron Noel