Wednesday, March 7th, 2018: Oshawa Generals vs. Kingston Frontenacs

Tonight, the Oshawa Generals welcomed division rival Kingston Frontenacs to town for the sixth meeting in the last two months. This marked the second to last game between the two clubs and the Generals were looking to turn their fortunes against their formidable foe who held a 5-1-0-0 season series advantage entering the game.

1st Period:

It was a tight-checking game to start as the Fronts managed a few quality chances but neither team was able to gain any substantial offensive zone time. After a great forecheck by Studnicka, where he forced a turnover, the Captain found Wong in the slot for a solid opportunity that was deflected just wide. A breakout rush from the defensive zone quickly turned to offence when Krastenbergs found Studnicka who set up Serron Noel for his 26th goal of the season giving the home team a 1-0 lead. Late in the period, Keyser came up big when he made several consecutive monster saves to keep the Frontenacs off the board. However, with 29.3 seconds left in the period, Gabriel Vilardi scored on the powerplay to tie the game 1-1. Shots at the end of one were Oshawa 5 Kingston 9.

2nd Period:

At 17:13 of the period, in an incredible display of determination and effort, Jack Studnicka stripped the puck off a Fronts player in his own defensive zone to spark a breakaway rush where he sniped his 17th goal of the season putting the Gens up 2-1. Just after a Generals powerplay expired, Henderson nearly extended the lead when he rang a loud shot off the crossbar. Midway through the period, the physical play started to rev up between the two rivals. In a crazy sequence of events, Keyser made a sensational diving superman save which in turn sprung Studnicka on another breakaway rush where he nearly buried his second of the game if not for a timely save from Helvig. Moments after a Gens powerplay chance expired, Renars Krastenbergs, from a ridiculous angle, scored his 19th goal of the season to make it 3-1. With just over a minute remaining in the period, tensions ran high as Studnicka was on the receiving end of a hard-hit which then resulted in a powerplay for the Fronts when Gross stepped up in defence of his captain. In the final minute, Keyser made a couple stellar saves on the PK to maintain the 3-1 lead heading into the third period. Shots at the end of two were Oshawa 17 Kingston 16.

3rd Period:

Twenty seconds into the period, Jason Robertson tallied on the powerplay to cut the Gens lead to 3-2. It was a battle through the neutral zone throughout the first half of the period where each team only had three shots apiece. At 10:36 of the period, Domenico Commisso won a race for the puck and snapped a shot on net that squeaked by Helvig to restore the Gens two-goal lead. After a solid defensive effort from McShane, Commisso and Huether rushed up ice for a 2-on-1 break that was denied by Helvig to keep his team within striking distance. With the Gennies looking to protect their lead, they worked to limit the time and space of the Fronts and help out their goalie by getting sticks in the shooting lanes and blocking shots. At the three-minute mark, Tyler Burnie gave Kingston some life when he scored to make it to 4-3. Then with just under two minutes remaining the Fronts pulled their goalie. With 41.3 seconds left, Matt Brassard sealed the deal when he launched a shot from behind his own blueline into the empty net to hand the Oshawa Generals a 5-3 victory over their fierce rivals. Final shots were Oshawa 24 Kingston 26.

Up next the Generals will be in Mississauga for their final meeting with the Steelheads this Friday, March 9th at 7:00 pm. To wrap up the week’s schedule the boys will return home to faceoff against Hamilton Bulldogs for the last time this regular season on Sunday, March 11th. Puck drop is set for 6:05 pm.

To join us this Sunday, click here!

More News
19 hours ago
2 days ago
Keyser and Hughes Featured in OHL Saves of the Week
2 days ago
4 days ago
4 days ago
7 days ago