Sunday, January 7th, 2018: Oshawa Generals vs. Owen Sound Attack

This afternoon the Oshawa Generals took on the Owen Sound Attack for the final time this regular season as they tried to earn the series split. The Gens dropped a tough one in the first meeting of the season but looked to continue to their impressive play as of late to get back in the win column.

1st Period:

A couple minutes into the game Keyser had to withstand the Attack as they were jumping right out of the gate putting lots of pucks on net. At 18:03 of the period, Owen Sound got on the board when Lyszczarczyk banked in his own rebound for an early 1-0 lead. After a great penalty kill, Serron Noel broke through on a breakaway that was turned aside by Guzda. Matt Brassard followed that up with a rocket shot that Guzda got a piece of to deflect high and wide. Midway through the period, tempers began to flare as the physicality started to ramp up. This led to an opportunity on the powerplay for the Gens but they would come up empty despite a number of great chances. With five minutes remaining the Gennies generated some sustained offensive zone pressure that resulted in William Ennis ringing a shot off the post. Then at the 2-minute mark, emotions continued to boil over as fists flew at centre ice ultimately giving the Gens another shot on the powerplay. The PP was short-lived as the Gens would take a penalty of their own setting up some 4-on-4 action. The Attack would capitalize on the open ice to take a 2-0 lead heading into the second period. Owen Sound led in shots 11-6.

2nd Period:

In the opening minutes of the second, the Gens battled to kill off the rest of the Attack’s PP. Keyser was brilliant making a few key saves including a beauty left pad stop. The dislike between the two teams began to grow, as evident by open ice hits and the sound of crashing boards. Tensions continued to rise which resulted in MacLean and McKenzie dropping the gloves. At 15:50, the Attack would tally once again to extend their lead to 3-0. Midway through the second, after pressuring the Attack’s defence down low and creating some offensive zone time the home team would head to the man advantage. Just after the PP expired Matt Brassard fired home his 8th goal of the season to cut the lead to 3-1. However, on the next shift, Owen Sound would score to restore their 3-goal lead, making it 4-1. With momentum back in their favour, the Attack found the back of the net to push their lead to 5-1. Mario Peccia came in to relieve Keyser in the latter half of the second period. With two minutes left in the period, Peccia looked to shut the door making a stellar glove save on dip and dangle shot. In the final minute, the Attack got a chance on the PP that would continue into the third period. After two, Owen Sound had a 5-1 lead and held the edge in shots 27-15.

3rd Period:

To open the third, the Gens killed off the remainder of the Attack’s powerplay only for the PK unit to be tested again a minute later. After back-to-back penalty kills they Generals looked to get their offence going as they hoped to cut into their deficit. The two teams would trade powerplay opportunities as the parade to the box continued into the third period. At 9:05 of the period, while on the man advantage Hayden McCool found Kenny Huether in the slot for his 17th goal of the season to make it 5-2. During an odd-man rush it appeared as though Nico Gross had scored but with two Owen Sound players crashing into their own net, the goal was dislodged before the puck could legally cross the line. Once again the hockey gods were not in the Gens favour when the home crowd thought that Jack Studnicka scored to make it a 2-goal game but after a brief review it was determined that the puck did not fully cross the line resulting in a no-goal. In the end, the Generals would fall to the Attack by the final score of 5-2. Final shots were Owen Sound 42 Oshawa 30.

Next weekend the Generals will be back in action as they host the Flint Firebirds for their first meeting of the season on Friday, January 12th at 7:35 pm. Then on Saturday, January 13th the boys will be in Kingston for the start of an important home and home series with divisional opponent Frontenacs, game time is set for 3:30 pm and will be broadcast on Sportsnet. Finally, the Gens will head back to Oshawa to conclude the home and home series with the Frontenacs on Sunday, January 14th, puck drop is set for 6:05 pm.

To join us next weekend, click here!

More News
Oshawa Generals Announce 7th Annual Bell Let’s Talk Game Night
3 hours ago
Generals and United Way Team Up for Points 4 United Way!
22 hours ago
3 days ago
3 days ago
3 days ago
5 days ago